Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Revenge & Further Thoughts on the Future

by Alicia

So, if you've never had the South African flu, trust me- you don't want it.

I've never had the flu before (in my memory anyways- Mom, you might have to correct me on this one), until two days ago. Word on the street has it that the version of the flu here is pretty hostile compared to most others. Some people we've talked to said they had it fro 11 days and then it came back again a few weeks later. Ben and I were amazed that even the flu seems to hit at an almost epidemic proportion, and it hits much harder than any other American head-cold bug that we're all used to getting.

So, I spent Monday and Tuesday in bed, passing the time by alternating between wishing that I could have some sort of stomach transplant and trying to make deals with God like "I'll trade you two days of flu for 15 days of a sore throat and runny nose." Neither seems to have worked out. I finally started to feel 100% better yesterday (Friday). Please pray for my continued health. By the way, Ben is calling this flu strain "Mandela's Revenge" (get it, like Montezuma's Revenge?) I'm not sure what Mandela would be vengeful over, as he seems like a peace loving and justice seekings person, but man, the flu was a killer.

Here's an excerpt from my journal from Wednesday night:

I probably wouldn't have left bed this morning if I hadn't had to speak at the Women's Day Breakfast the Church hosted. I thought I was feeling well enough, but I just felt awful once I got there. It was fun to see so many women that I had already met- they are so friendly- it felt like I already had many friends at church. I spoke- I don't have confridence in my talks unless I've spent a week preparing them and they are totally scripted. (which this one wasn't- God had led me to some scripture to share and some ideas- I trusted Him with the delivery- I don't want to tturn it into a producation or a show about me- I want it to be genuine from my heart and the heart of God when people hear me)It was neat to see how God knit together my talk with the other 2 women's... He has His plans and I should trust them.

I keep having to remind myself not to confuse my excitement about this place, these people & projects with being tired of traveling and being sick. I am not good at BEING- I must always be DOING or I start to feel worthless. I get restless easily- especially after the long season of waiting I feel like this past year has been for me.

Today I also started thinking about all of the people that I would miss if we moved back here. I feel like there is so much that I have already missed- especially in the lives of the girls- that I would hate to continur missing. I also fear friendships changing and losing the amazing commnity that we already have in Denver in order to come here and for a new one.

I want to hear the call of God louder than anyone else's wants, desire or needs (including my own). There is need everywhere. Let me only respond to you, Lord.

There is a battle happening within me.

It seems there is blessing everywhere too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home