Monday, August 07, 2006

Youth Ministry in South Africa

By Ben

Lesson #3 Stripping Down My Resume

Hopefully by the year 2009 I will have updated this completely.
All the assets that I thought I had are gone.
(Day 1)
>My experience and context for expertise are not in South Africa. There is no Young Life here yet, and there are no GOAT kids.
>I have only met one person here before today. No one knows anything of my story, and I know nothing of theirs.
>Being from America is not respected as I thought it would be. Our government’s arrogant world policy and seemingly unnecessary war in Iraq; and our disproportionate consumption of valuable resources have deeply tarnished our reputation at the leaders of the free world. No longer are the poor and suffering in South Africa (or the rest of the continent) looking to the West to come and rescue them. They are looking within, to the African Renaissance; and to God for deliverance. In many circumstances, my nationality may be more of a liability than an asset. (Day9) I have seen that this is true for the most part. Several popular American Christian leaders have marched into Africa arrogantly saying they aim to “save” the continent, but have ended up not listening to (Bruce Wilkinson’s grandiose visions in Swaziland) or even outright exploiting (Pat Robertson’s gold mine- google it) the people they claim be serving. However, there is hope. The United States may not have the reputation that we once had, but many Western ideas and values are beginning to be valued here- both good and ill. We still have a responsibility to be the leaders of the world that we are supposed to be. Africa is still watching.
>My sense of humor is not understood here. (Day9) This has proven to be untrue. South Africans laugh freely and often. My face hurts from smiling!
>I understand about 50% of what people are saying. I’ve never been good with accents (Sorry Texans!) Alicia teases me extensively about this. I am glad to have her as an interpreter. (Day9) I’m up to about 85% now, and it is getting better -except for this one older lady who approached me after church last night and talked and talked in her thick accent. All I could do was smile nod and say “uh-huh” and “thank you” where I felt appropriate. I whispered “15%” to Alicia after she left.
>Any cultural experience, or cultural savvy that I possess in America, matters not here. (I wanted to say it that way because I want to sound smart.)
>Back home I am used to serving people and thus winning them over. Here I am the one who is being served.

Despite lacking so much that I am used to having or expected to have; I am blessed and am prepared. I have a compassionate heart and an open mind for my Father, a beautiful and brilliant wife, and a God who is strong when I am weak – and I am weak indeed!

Lesson # 14 The South African Youth Group.

(Day6) Ashley is the tough looking construction worker/ youth pastor for Calvary Sanctuary. Although intimidating, he is kind and wise. However, after meeting him I still said to myself “I’m so glad he’s on our side!” Alicia and I observed youth group tonight, and will lead it in two weeks. The boys love to play soccer. I thought I might ask if I could join in on their indoor, pre-church game. I walked into the fellowship hall just in tome to see a boy dance around on (yes on!) the ball, spin around, and kick the ball behind his back, and bounce it off the goal post. It would have been a sure goal if the goal had been any larger than a single metal chair. I decided that I wouldn’t show them up, and I took a rain check. After soccer, we got organized and played a couple of games. Including a version of indoor soccer with a smaller ball, sticks and the same chair goals- it was brutal. Then we parted ways along gender lines, and went to our lesson time. The lesson usually has a 10 minute devotion led by one of the kids, and then a lesson by one of the leaders. The Anton led us in a discussion about wisdom. The confidence with which he spoke and the boldness he had to speak hard things into the boys’ lives was impressive. It was an interesting contrast to how I have grown accustomed to doing things. I tend to let kids know they are loved, and not say anything that could cause them to leave the group. Anton told them the straight up truth, and has been for a long time. Anton is a volunteer, so is Ashley and Tanya and Lynn. And (wait for it….) they all have been volunteers for 5-7years!! The boldness, commitment and dedication of these leaders challenge me and inspire me to be a better leader of teenagers.

Lesson # 17 Hope

(Day9)My beloved wife already gave you a good description of Chrysalis Academy. Please pray for me on the 27th of August as I will be speaking there to the whole academy about Jesus. Pray that I would offer hope and that Jesus’ love for them would be apparent. When Lorbee told me that she didn’t believe in God because she had suffered so much I was tempted to say “I wouldn’t believe in Him either, if I had seen what you have seen.”
As I have seen squatter camps, and sat with people from them, I must cling to the hope that Jesus is bigger that the suffering that I am seeing.
Despite the pain and loss that is so common here, much of it has given birth to hope. Thought many have never seen a better world that the camps, they believe that they will see one someday. I’ve heard that there is not a word for hope in some African dialects, but I am overjoyed to see the English word used and exhibited frequently here.
Jesus is on the move here in South Africa, even in Airport City and the Kensington squatter camps. I am honored to see Him at work through the likes of Jeremy, Chris, Nadine, and Raymond – bold, courageous, creative followers of Jesus who cling to the hope that these unjust remnants of apartheid will come to an end.

Person #7 Chris

(Day 6) Chris is Jeremy’s brash, passionate friend who helps Jeremy with his work in Kensington. I met Chris today as we were setting up for the launch of Jeremy’s under seven soccer league. (The power of soccer to break down religious, racial, and socio-economic walls is amazing.) Though Chris’ professional soccer career was stifled because he is colored (as was Jeremy’s) he got involved with Ambassador’s in Sport, an organization that uses soccer to minister around the world. With Ambassadors in Sport, Chris traveled to some of the poorer nations in Africa. There he felt God’s call to service and sacrifice. He came home and quit his job at the family business. This decision caused him to leave his company car, his handsome salary, his nice house, and his family’s blessings behind. He has lived by faith for seven years, and is passionate about what I call “Youth Development” ministry. He sees the value in offering poor kids life skills classes that teach kids how to live and work and function in the world, but he wonder’s about kids’ spiritual development. He wants to teach the youth classes in Kingdom life skills to prepare kids for a life of ministry and service to the poor. He believes that the purpose of youth ministry is not to entertain or convert, but to develop and to train.
It is evident that Chris loves his wife. He talks often about a minister’s responsibility to his family. He built his house so that he could “pamper” his wife. Is passion and sense of humor is a joy.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! It is Monday morning in Colo. I so enjoyed reading all that you wrote. You both do such a good job of expressing what you see and are learning. My heart hurts with you for the wounded ones you are meeting. God is most certainly orchestrating your time there. I continue to pray. I love you both. Mom

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful day here on Tuesday morning. We have had a deer in our yard eating my roses.
We are happy to be able to read your reports and pray for you daily. It is so hard for you to see so much need and not be able to do all you would like to to help. We love you and will continue to pray for you.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am eager to learn and understand more regarding Africans opinions towards Americans. Have you experienced any conflict directed specifically towards the two of you, due to your nationality? Also, have folks around you specifically mentioned American political and social policy? If so what do they refer to? Would you say that it is mostly the most educated people who are aware and engaged in the US and what its current policies include? Or do all you meet with openly come out against the United States? Also, have you ever seen a paragraph with more question marks? Just wonderin’.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Michael Hayes said...

Hey Hey! I am praying that ya'll will be able to understand the thick accents. It really can't be that much different than me or mine, (Alicia think of it as my mom) they just have a really cool accent that is fun to listen to over the phone.

-Hi. Could I speak to Michael Ray?-(be sure to read in a heavy texan accent)

11:36 AM  
Blogger Kevin Kuoni said...

I do like reading your stuff. I cant wait to hear more stuff. Looks like you are learning a lot of… stuff.

What follows took some time and a great deal of mental energy. I need a nap:

Here I am at my kitchen table using your blog and my porridge as breakfast company. The last few weeks, possibly starting with Emily’s birthday night, have been ectic. That night I realized how long it had been since I had regular employment. As you remember, my job search that night provided some possibilities: first, a possible interview and a phone number with which to inquire; and second a short interview in which I appeared stupid at best. I have left some messages on the first but nothing as yet; at this rate I will be living in a small flat for the rest of my life, and I doubt Nelson Mandela will let me a room. Shame!

As per the second… I showed up with a bouquet of references, all differing colours, asking for a job. Certainly not my first instinct, but if apartheid ended, maybe I can earn a wage and leave this sub-economic area and start some community development. While first granted a working interview, I have recently been demoted back to an “informal” interview. I didn’t have the chance for my Xhosa expression, “Umhle!”, as it was not appropriate. I am okay with this as I believe any supervisor, given a sane mental state and functioning logic, would at minimum give me a trial period. I’ve been through enough faculty, you would think could find a job. I feel the Kevolution (an inward revolution afoot, see African Renaissance) might be coming sooner than most would anticipate.

I have now moved on to my biscuit, which you might think odd if you didn’t realize breakfast commenced at noon:30. In thinking about the first impression I would desire to give a possible employer, and since I’m not old enough to hire a car, where is your scooter?

Figurative language aside, I’m trying to get hired at a bookstore in Boulder. Pay isn’t great, about a Raand an hour. I tried to use em all, but some (colored and Afrikaan) are difficult to use without being a racist or saying something horrible.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben - your too funny. A smile is the one thing understood universally. I'm not to far from yourself when it comes to understanding accients so don't feel too bad about it, just smile right? :) Can you discribe their accients at all? I think we're the only country that doesn't find America dispicable. Sad, but understandable. I wish I knew what could wake this place up. I love you brother! Make your wife drink more water.
Alicia - That was suposed to be a secret about Matt! He's gonna have my head! Drink water! Drink water, hey, drink water! Matt and I have purchased two Koi fish. He's found a new job but works to much, so he is trying to find one with less hours. I know you haven't spent a long time there but have you put more thought into moving there? I love you sister! Hey! Drink water!

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm praying for you guys a ton and I'm so excited to read about your adventures and your teaching and learning and all that goodness! (I also appreciate the glossaries you provide!) I can't wait for you guys to be back home so I can hear your stories in person. What an awesome testamony! Love you both! Stay healthy! -- that means hydrated, Loshi! Jenny W.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ben and alicia i am so thankful that i have you guys as friends. your stories and words are literally bringing me to tears. you have such a heart and passion for jesus and His people and really remind me and force me to look at what i am doing. i have many more thoughts going on but too confused in my head and too much to write. thanks for being you i love you guys and miss you!you will be in my thoughts and prayers
jen

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello, hello!
i just want to tell you both that i really admire what you both are doing. I think you both are very couragous for making such a great journey to learn. It sounds like you both are learning so very much. It is totally awesome to read your posts, to read your story as it unfolds. Thank you. Your words provide me with tons of stuff to think about and really put into perspective. Your stories have made a huge impact on me and my way of thinking. You guys are neat. I like you guys.

prayers and love.
mr. dollarhide

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home